Natural food supplement suitable for adults with the following recommendations:
- Take 1 sachet daily, preferably with breakfast
- Product is orosoluble, so may be taken directly into the mouth
- If preferred, product may be dissolved in water and consumed immediately
- For best results take daily for at least three months.
- Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
- Safe to take alongside statins or cholesterol lowering medication*.
* Do not stop or reduce the dose of your cholesterol lowering medication without the support of your doctor.
Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
For how long should I take Optibac For Cholesterol?
It’s recommended to take our natural supplement For Cholesterol over a minimum period of three months. In a clinical trial, the three strains in For Cholesterol, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7528 and Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7529, were administered daily for 3 months1. For best results, however, it’s best to take it on an ongoing basis. Live cultures are considered to be safe for long-term use2 and ongoing use is recommended for the support of various health conditions3.
Who should take Optibac For Cholesterol?
Optibac For Cholesterol is a high-quality specialist supplement designed for adults seeking to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and normal heart function. It contains three highly researched friendly bacteria strains with added vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Omega-3 ALA (alpha linolenic acid).
The all-natural live cultures powder has a delicious vanilla flavour and is presented in easy-to-take stick sachets. The powder can be poured directly into the mouth, so no need to mix with liquids.
Is Optibac For Cholesterol suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
Yes, absolutely! Optibac For Cholesterol is now suitable to be taken by vegetarians and vegans. It is also soy-free, yeast-free, dairy-free & gluten-free (suitable for those with coeliac disease) so should be appropriate for most diets.
Can I take friendly bacteria with statins?
It is safe to take Optibac For Cholesterol at the same time as statins or cholesterol-lowering medication, with no risk of undesirable side effects.
Can Omega-3 help lower cholesterol?
The Omega-3 essential fatty acid, Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), has undergone numerous clinical trials demonstrating its efficacy at helping to maintain normal blood cholesterol levels, and the ability of this particular Omega-3 to support healthy cholesterol levels has been validated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)*. The beneficial effects of Alpha-linolenic acid are obtained with a daily intake of 2g, as a part of a balanced diet.
Is thiamine good for the heart?
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) has been shown to contribute to the normal functioning of the heart. The ability of this particular vitamin to support heart health has been validated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)*.
Are live cultures safe?
With very few exceptions, live cultures are extremely safe supplements for most people to take from birth into old age 5,6. There are only a few individuals for whom friendly bacteria may not be appropriate, such as adults or children who are immune-compromised – please see our safety information for more details. If you have any serious health condition, you should always speak to your doctor before taking any natural supplement.
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Probiotic supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and varied diet. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
1. Fuentes, et al. (2013) Cholesterol-lowering efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, 7528 and 7529 in hypercholesterolaemic adults. Br. J. Nutr. 109, 10. 1866-72.
2. Iannitti, T. and Palmieri, B. (2010). Therapeutical use of probiotic formulations in clinical practice. Clinical Nutrition, 29(6): 701-725.
3. Tomasz, B., Zoran, S., Jarosław, W., Ryszard, M., Marcin, G., Robert, B., Piotr, K., Lukasz, K., Jacek, P., Piotr, G., Przemysław, P., & Michał, D. (2014). Long-term use of probiotics Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium has a prophylactic effect on the occurrence and severity of pouchitis: a randomized prospective study. BioMed research international, 2014, 208064. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/208064
4. ‘ALA contributes to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels’ EU Register on nutrition and health claims
5. Jacobsen et al. (1999). 'Screening of probiotic activities of 47 strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonisation ability of 5 selected strains in humans'. Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 65(11): 4949-4956
6. Doron, S., & Snydman, D. R. (2015). Risk and safety of probiotics. Clinical infectious diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 60 Suppl 2(Suppl 2), S129–S134. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ085