Who is Optibac Bifido & Fibre for?
For anyone looking to buy a friendly bacteria supplement with FOS for natural fibre.
- Each sachet provides 25 billion friendly bacteria + 4g of Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) fibres.
- The billions count is guaranteed until end of expiry.
- Scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut.
- Made with natural ingredients and does not cause dependency.
- Suitable for everyone from 1 year onwards, and even for pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, older people, vegans, vegetarians, and those with a gluten intolerance.
- Complements your natural gut bacteria.
- Recommended for daily use or as needed.
- Free from artificial flavourings or colourings that may be found in other food & drinks containing live cultures.
- Easy to take on the go – no refrigeration required.
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Available in two pack sizes of 10 or 30 sachets.
FOS may initially result in flatulence in some people. These effects are temporary and should stop as the body adjusts. If effects continue for 3-4 days, consider reducing the dosage.
Now dispatching in our new look!
We are introducing new, eco-conscious packaging this year, and the new designs will update gradually from product to product to minimise any waste. Please bear with us as you may receive orders with both current and new packaging over the coming months. We hope you like the new look!
Update May 2021: This supplement was previously called OptiBac 'Bifidobacteria & fibre' in the EU and 'For maintaining regularity' in the rest of world. It's exactly the same great formula, which previously advertised 5 billion live cultures per sachet but has now been updated to 25 billion live cultures per sachet (based on latest stability data). Existing customers can continue to take it just as before!
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See 'Reviews' tab for more customer opinions collected via our own website.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Kathy Wheddon Nutritional Therapist DipION and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
What makes Bifido & Fibre unique?
Bifido & Fibre contains 25 billion CFU of the friendly bacteria strain: Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12®. This strain of friendly bacteria is very highly researched, in fact it is thought to be the most researched strain in the entire Bifidobacteria family! It was studied in the largest clinical trial1 on any live cultures strain to date, and assessed for its ability to improve bowel regularity in those suffering with constipation. This study of 1,200 individuals found that Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12® improves defecation frequency. The supplement also contains FOS fibres, that have been shown to reduce bowel transit time and improve the symptoms of constipation2.
How many sachets should I take a day?
The dosage of Bifido & Fibre required to achieve the desired effect on the bowel can be highly individual, and may require some initial ‘trial and error’. It is recommended to start with one sachet a day, and monitor symptom severity. If a higher dose is required, the number of sachets taken can be increased (one sachet at a time), up to a maximum dose of 4 sachets per day. Many of those that require a higher dose initially, find that they can reduce the dose after just a few weeks or months, once their symptoms have improved. After this initial period of time, most people find 1 or 2 sachets each day to be an effective ongoing ‘maintenance’ dose.
Is it ok to take friendly bacteria supplements every day?
Friendly bacteria supplements are generally considered very safe to take on a daily basis. Furthermore, the specific strain of bacteria in Bifido & Fibre (Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12®) carries no risk of dependency, and does not cause the bowel to become ‘lazy’, which can happen when taking some pharmaceutical laxatives.
1. Eskesen, D. et al. (2015), ‘Effect of the probiotic strain Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB-12® on defecation frequency in healthy subjects with low defecation frequency and abnormal discomfort: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group trial’, British Journal of Nutrition, Nov 28: 114(10) :1638–1646
2. Da Silva Souza, D. et al. (2018, Nov). Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Parallel Clinical Trial Assessing the Effect of Fructooligosaccharides in Infants with Constipation. J. Nutrients. 2018 Nov; 10(11): 1602. Published online 2018 Nov 1. doi: 10.3390/nu10111602