Friendly bacteria to take when travelling abroad
Unfortunately, we do not expect this product to be back in stock until 2023. As an alternative, we recommend taking Every Day alongside our Saccharomyces Boulardii product; Saccharomyces boulardii is found in ‘For travelling abroad’. If you would like further information, do get in touch with our helpful Nutrition Team via live chat or send them your enquiry.
Good to know:
- Each capsule provides 5 billion good bacteria and the billions count is guaranteed until end of expiry
- The Lactobacillus, Saccharomyces and Bifidobacterium genera contained in this supplement are all well-researched
- Shown to survive at higher temperatures and humidity, making this a suitable travel companion for destinations with hotter, more humid climates such as India, Egypt or Mexico
- The high-quality nature of this supplement gives travellers the increased confidence to enjoy their holidays worry-free
- Does not interfere with antimalarials or other travel medication
- Scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut
- This combination of live cultures and friendly yeast is designed to complement the body's natural gut bacteria
- Easy to take on the go – no refrigeration required
- Suitable for: vegetarians and gluten free for those with coeliac disease or an intolerance
- Suitable from 1 year onwards
- Recommended for daily use preferably starting 3 - 5 days before departure, continuing during time abroad and for a couple of days upon return
- Free from artificial flavourings or colourings that may be found in other food & drinks containing live cultures
- Available in two pack sizes of 20 or 60 capsules
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Please note: This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr. Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc (Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nutritional Medicine) Nutritional Therapist.
Should I take friendly bacteria before travelling?
We recommend that ‘For travelling abroad’ is taken for at least 3-5 days before departing on your foreign travels. This allows time for the friendly bacteria to reach the gut and start to complement the natural gut bacteria1. There are lots of different types of friendly bacteria2 but the strains in this supplement are especially suitable for use when travelling. It is fine to use 'For travelling abroad' in combination with your favourite daily live cultures supplement, taken regularly in between your foreign trips.
Do I need to keep this supplement cold when travelling?
None of the supplements in the Optibac range need to be refrigerated either at home or when travelling, if stored at room temperature (25°C or 77°F). But the strains contained in ‘For travelling abroad’ are very hardy and can survive at higher temperatures and humidity levels (keep them out of direct sunlight if possible). This makes the supplement an ideal travel companion for destinations with hotter, more humid climates such as India, Egypt, or Mexico.
How do I choose the best travel supplement with live cultures?
When choosing any supplement, it is always a good idea to follow the research. A friendly bacteria supplement designed especially for travelling will contain strains which have been extensively researched and are suitable for that specific purpose3,4. All of the strains in ‘For travelling abroad’ are of the highest quality; they have been extensively researched in numerous clinical trials and proven to reach the gut alive.
What makes this supplement especially suitable for travel?
‘For travelling abroad’ is designed to be easy to take when travelling. The ‘fridge-free’ formulation means you can take it with you wherever you roam! It is suitable for all the family over the age of 1 year (pregnant women should consult with a doctor before use), and if desired, the easy-to-swallow capsules can be opened, and contents popped into cool, non-acidic drinks. The four carefully selected strains combine to make this supplement a perfect all-rounder - a good gut feeling means a great holiday!
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See more For travelling abroad reviews for more customer opinions collected via our own website.
1. Hemarajata, P. and Versalovic, J. (2013 Jan) Effects of probiotics on gut microbiota: mechanisms of intestinal immunomodulation and neuromodulation. J. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 6(1): 39–51.
2. nhs.uk. (2018). Probiotics 'Ease Upset Stomachs'. [online] Available at: <https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/probiotics-ease-upset-stomachs/> [Accessed 7 October 2018].
3. Kollaritsch, H. et al. (1993). 'Prevention of traveller's diarrhea with Saccharomyces boulardii. Results of a placebo controlled double-blind study'. Fortschr Med, 111(9): 152-6