- For best results take 1 capsule daily or as professionally directed.
- One capsule consists of a minimum of 20 billion live Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM®, Lactobacillus paracasei Lpc-37®, Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07® and Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04®.
- Can be increased to 2 capsules a day if desired - for ongoing use 1 capsule a day may suffice.
- Take with food, preferably with breakfast.
- For anyone unable to swallow capsules, the capsule can be opened and the contents sprinkled into cool food or drinks.
- Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
No refrigeration necessary when stored in a cool, dry place below 25°C.
All questions answered by friendly bacteria experts Dr Aisling Dwyer MB BCh BAO (Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics), MSc (Personalised Nutrition) and Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology.
Is it OK to take live cultures every day?
Yes, it is safe and generally advisable to take live cultures daily. Good bacteria colonise in the gut for a few weeks but research1,2,3 suggests that the good bacteria strains will disappear without regular supplementation, so for this reason you might wish to take them regularly.
Should you take live cultures on a full or empty stomach?
The concern is that bacteria are delicate by nature, and that they may not survive stomach acid. Taking live cultures at a certain time of day (when stomach acidity is closer to neutral) could help ensure the highest survival rates of the good bacteria. Confusingly though, different healthcare professionals and live cultures manufacturers have different guidelines about when is best to take these supplements! So, let us try to clarify a few things.
First, let us look at the logic behind taking live cultures on an empty stomach, advocated by some. Well, because acid is stimulated by consumption of food, it is thought that taking live cultures on an empty stomach (mainly first thing in the morning) is ideal because there is less residual acid in the stomach. However, it is also important to note that there is a lag time (up to 30 minutes) between when food is eaten and when acid is released into the stomach
With a few exceptions, it’s best to take your live cultures supplements with a breakfast, as the food helps to buffer the effects of stomach acid; it may also help to facilitate the passage of the friendly bacteria through the stomach, and ensure that they are well mixed with the stomach contents as they pass into the small intestines.
How long should you take live cultures for?
This depends on why you are taking them: some people like to take specific strains at certain times, for example during pregnancy, when travelling abroad, or during the winter flu season. However, if you prefer general daily supplementation, then take your supplements every day. There is no current research to suggest the body becomes dependent on good bacteria, so long-term supplementation is also fine.
1. Mimura, T. et al. (2004). 'Once daily high dose probiotic therapy (VSL#3) for maintaining remission in recurrent or refractory pouchitis'. Gut, 53(1): 108-114
2. Morelli L et al., 2004. 'Utilisation of the intestinal tract as a delivery system for urogenital probiotics'. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology; 38(6): 107-110
3. Jacobsen et al., 1999. 'Screening of probiotic activities of 47 strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonisation ability of 5 selected strains in humans'. Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 65 (11): 4949-4956
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach and sight of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. OptiBac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.