- Best taken with a meal, preferably with breakfast.
- Simply mix with your child's favourite cool, non-acidic foods or drinks – try sprinkling the powder over cereal, mixing it with yogurt, or dissolve it in a glass of water or cold milk.
- Can be taken with formula milk - simply add to the bottle once it has cooled down to room temperature (as heat reduces the viability of natural bacteria).
- For breastfed babies, powder can be applied to nipple or clean finger for baby to suckle.
- Infants from birth to 3 years: 1 sachet per day
- Kids 4 - 12 years: 1 to 2 sachets per day as desired
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers: 1 sachet per day
Looking for an easy to take format that kids can help themselves to - try our new friendly bacteria gummies for kids.
5 Easy Ways To Take For Babies & Children:
OptiBac 'For babies & children' does not require refrigeration and sachets can be used on the go. Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight.
All questions answered by Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
What are kids' live cultures?
Kids’ live cultures are dietary supplements specially designed for use by infants and children. Certain species and strains of bacteria are more commonly found in a child’s gut, such as strains of Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli. High-quality kids’ supplements will contain live cultures which have been clinically researched in children and are particularly suitable for a child’s developing digestive system. OptiBac ‘For babies & children’ contains strains of Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli which have been researched in children.
How do I choose the best friendly bacteria supplement for my child?
When choosing a friendly bacteria supplement for your child, you need to feel confident that it’s safe, well-researched, and contains bacteria which are suitable for your child's needs. It's best to choose a supplement which has been specifically researched and designed for kids. OptiBac ‘For babies & children’ is a high-quality, award-winning live culture supplement, clinically tested in hundreds of babies1 and young children2,3,4.
When is the best time of day to give OptiBac ‘For babies & children’?
It is best to give OptiBac ‘For babies & children’ in the morning with the first meal of the day. This is when stomach acidity is at its most neutral, ensuring that the live cultures all pass safely through the harsh stomach environment. Giving the supplement with food also helps to buffer stomach acid and helps to assist the transit of the bacteria through the stomach and into the gut.
1. Manzano S, De Andrés J, Castro I, Rodríguez JM, Jiménez E, Espinosa-Martos I. Safety and tolerance of three probiotic strains in healthy infants: A multi-centre randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Benef Microbes. 2017;8(4):569-578. doi:10.3920/BM2017.0009
2. Cazzola M, Pham-Thi N, Kerihuel J-C, Durand H, Bohbot S. Efficacy of a synbiotic supplementation in the prevention of common winter diseases in children: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2010;4(5):271-278. doi:10.1177/1753465810379010
3. Stojković A, Simović A, Bogdanović Z, Banković D, Poskurica M. Clinical trial / experimental study (consort compliant): Optimal time period to achieve the effects on synbiotic-controlled wheezing and respiratory infections in young children. Srp Arh Celok Lek. 2016;144(1-2):38-45. doi:10.2298/SARH1602038S
4. Wang Y, Li X, Ge T, et al. Probiotics for prevention and treatment of respiratory tract infections in children: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Med (United States). 2016;95(31). doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004509
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, infants with short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. OptiBac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.