- For best results take 1 capsule daily. May be increased to 2 capsules per day.
- One capsule contains minimum of 2.3 billion live Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14® and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1®. Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
- Take 1 or 2 capsules daily as desired or as professionally directed. For ongoing use 1 capsule a day may suffice.
- Take with food, preferably with breakfast.
- For anyone unable to swallow capsules, the capsule can be opened and the contents sprinkled into cool food/drinks.
- Take daily for best results.
- 'For women' can safely be taken alongside other supplements in the OptiBac range.
No refrigeration necessary when stored in a cool, dry place below 25°C.
All questions answered by friendly bacteria experts Dr Aisling Dwyer MB BCh BAO (Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics), MSc (Personalised Nutrition) and Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology.
How long does it take for women’s live cultures to work?
Even when taken orally, the strains in ‘For women’ have been proven to reach the vagina alive. Research suggests that they can reach the vaginal tract in 3-4 days and begin to colonise, and they have been shown in clinical trials1 to be present in the vagina after just one week.
When is the best time to take live cultures for women?
Even though live cultures produce lactic acid and prefer a slightly acidic environment, getting through the harsh stomach environment can be challenging for these delicate live cultures. Ideally, it’s best to take your good bacteria supplement at mealtimes (specifically breakfast time), as the stomach’s gastric acidity is naturally at pH 4 or above, and the food further helps to buffer the acid, and assist the passage of the live cultures into the gut. However, if you forget to take them with breakfast, just take with another meal or snack.
How long should I take a women’s live cultures supplement for?
This really depends on your circumstances and response to the good bacteria. 'For women’ comes in three different sizes, one of which is a seven-day intensive course during which two capsules are taken over seven consecutive days for occasional support; however, most women love the confidence that taking daily vaginal live cultures can provide. OptiBac ‘For women’ is safe and recommended for long-term daily use.
Are women’s live cultures safe during pregnancy?
It is perfectly safe to take ‘For women’ during pregnancy; however, pregnant women may like to consider taking our specific pregnancy supplement, ‘For pregnancy’, which contains strains researched specifically in pregnant women.
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach and sight of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. OptiBac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
- Anukam K.C. et al., (2006), ‘Augmentation of antimicrobial met*******ole therapy of bacterial vaginosis with oral probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14: randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial’. Microbes Infect. 8(6): 1450-4.
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See 'Reviews' tab for more customer opinions collected via our own website.