- Our new & improved For Cholesterol product is now in an easy to use, one-a-day powder sachet.
- The same 3 strains of friendly bacteria combined with vitamin B1 and ALA to support the maintenance of normal cholesterol levels
- Safe to take alongside statins or cholesterol-lowering medication*
- Natural and safe - no risk of undesirable side effects
- Each sachet contains 1.2 billion CFU of AB-Life® guaranteed until end of expiry.
- Replicated clinical evidence on the 3 AB-Life® probiotic strains: Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7528 and Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7529
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) has undergone numerous clinical trials demonstrating its efficacy at helping to maintain normal cholesterol levels. The beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 2g of ALA as part of a balanced diet
- High-quality powdered ALA sourced from chia seeds
- Strains scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut
- Recommended for daily use
- For best results take this product for a minimum of three months
- Can safely be taken on an ongoing basis
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
*Do not stop or reduce the dose of your cholesterol lowering medication without the support of your doctor.
Available in one pack size of 30 sachets – serving size 1 sachet per day.
Now dispatching in our new look!
We are introducing new, eco-conscious packaging this year, and the new designs will update gradually from product to product to minimize any waste. Please bear with us as you may receive orders with both current and new packaging over the coming months. We hope you like the new look!
Update December 2021: This supplement was previously called OptiBac ‘For your cholesterol’. Now also with vitamin B1 in an easy to take powder sachet.
New & Improved
We’ve updated this supplement to a sachet form with added vitamin B1 to support the maintenance of a normal cholesterol levels. Now in a delicious vanilla flavour.
Existing customers can continue to use it just as before.
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See 'Reviews' tab for more customer opinions collected via our own website.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
For how long should I take Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol?
It’s recommended to take our probiotic supplement For Cholesterol over a minimum period of three months. In a clinical trial, the three strains in For Cholesterol, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7528 and Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7529, were administered daily for 3 months1. For best results, however, it’s best to take it on an ongoing basis. Probiotics are considered to be safe for long-term use2 and ongoing use is recommended for the support of various health conditions3.
Who should take Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol?
Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol is a high-quality specialist supplement designed for adults seeking to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and normal heart function. It contains three highly researched friendly bacteria strains with added vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Omega-3 ALA (alpha linolenic acid).
The all-natural probiotic powder has a delicious vanilla flavour and is presented in easy-to-take stick sachets. The powder can be poured directly into the mouth - there’s no need to mix it with liquids - so can be taken whenever it’s convenient (but ideally with the first meal of the day).
Is Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
Yes, absolutely! Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol is now suitable to be taken by vegetarians and vegans. It is also soy-free, yeast-free, dairy-free & gluten-free (suitable for those with coeliac disease) so should be appropriate for most diets.
Can I take probiotics with statins?
It is perfectly safe to take Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol at the same time as statins or cholesterol-lowering medication, with no risk of undesirable side effects.
Do probiotics help with cholesterol?
The strains in Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7528, and Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7529 are scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut alive. All three probiotic strains have been clinically trialled in those with high cholesterol1 and were found to offer positive benefits on cholesterol levels.
Can Omega-3 help lower cholesterol?
The Omega-3 essential fatty acid, Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), has undergone numerous clinical trials demonstrating its efficacy at helping to maintain normal blood cholesterol levels, and the ability of this particular Omega-3 to support healthy cholesterol levels has been validated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)*. The beneficial effects of Alpha-linolenic acid are obtained with a daily intake of 2g, as a part of a balanced diet.
Is thiamine good for the heart?
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) has been shown to contribute to the normal functioning of the heart. The ability of this particular vitamin to support heart health has been validated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)*. Optibac Probiotics For Cholesterol contains 0.22mg thiamine, 20% of the recommended daily intake.
Are probiotics safe?
With very few exceptions, probiotics are extremely safe supplements for most people to take from birth into old age 5,6. There are only a few individuals for whom probiotics may not be appropriate, such as adults or children who are immune-compromised – please see our safety information for more details. If you have any serious health condition, you should always speak to your doctor before taking any natural supplement.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Probiotic supplements are not drugs and therefore are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
1. Fuentes, et al. (2013) Cholesterol-lowering efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 7527, 7528 and 7529 in hypercholesterolaemic adults. Br. J. Nutr. 109, 10. 1866-72.
2. Iannitti, T. and Palmieri, B. (2010). Therapeutical use of probiotic formulations in clinical practice. Clinical Nutrition, 29(6): 701-725.
3. Tomasz, B., Zoran, S., Jarosław, W., Ryszard, M., Marcin, G., Robert, B., Piotr, K., Lukasz, K., Jacek, P., Piotr, G., Przemysław, P., & Michał, D. (2014). Long-term use of probiotics Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium has a prophylactic effect on the occurrence and severity of pouchitis: a randomized prospective study. BioMed research international, 2014, 208064. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/208064
4. ‘ALA contributes to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels’ EU Register on nutrition and health claims
5. Jacobsen et al. (1999). 'Screening of probiotic activities of 47 strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonisation ability of 5 selected strains in humans'. Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 65(11): 4949-4956
6. Doron, S., & Snydman, D. R. (2015). Risk and safety of probiotics. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 60 Suppl 2(Suppl 2), S129–S134. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ085