Who is Optibac Baby Drops for?
Dietary supplement for newborns from birth onwards; infants, babies and young children. Suitable for both breastfed and formula-fed babies.
- Contains the world-renowned Bifidobacterium breve M-16V® probiotic strain
- Strain naturally occurs in the human body & is uniquely adapted to reside in humans
- Complements the gut flora naturally present in your baby's digestive system
- Suitable for use alongside medication for colic
- Studied in numerous gold standard clinical trials in thousands of babies and young children
- Proven both effective and safe for babies and children
- Helps promote and maintain a healthy balance in the baby’s gut flora
- Probiotic strain shown to encourage a healthy gut environment in infants by increasing levels of Bifidobacteria* and to support immune health*
- 1 billion CFU per serving, guaranteed until end of expiry
- Proven to reach the gut alive
- Easy-to-use dropper - administer directly into baby’s mouth*, on a spoon or mix into cool milk or food
- Recommended for daily use
- Winner of 2020 National Parenting Product Awards and Nutra Ingredients Asia Award 2019 for Ingredient of the Year: Infant Nutrition
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Available in one pack size of 30 servings – serving size 0.3 ml (8 drops) as indicated on the dropper.
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See 'Reviews' tab for more customer opinions collected via our own website.
All questions answered by probiotic expert Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
What are baby probiotics?
Probiotics for babies are dietary supplements that use good bacteria strains naturally present in the baby’s gut. ‘Probiotic’ means ‘for life’. The WHO defines probiotics as live microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host. An imbalance in the good and bad bacteria in a baby's gut in the first few months of life may trigger occasional digestive upsets or gas production.
Can or should I give my baby probiotics?
You can give Baby Drops probiotics to your newborn from birth onwards. Research has shown that giving certain probiotic strains, such as Bifidobacterium breve M-16V® to infants can help to increase levels of Bifidobacteria in the gut1,2, soothe colic2, support immune health and improve allergies3.
How do I choose the best probiotic for my baby?
When choosing a probiotic supplement for your baby, you need to feel confident that it is safe, effective, and suitable for the infant microbiome4. Baby Drops contains an award-winning probiotic strain which has been tested in over 4000 newborn infants5, babies, and young children6, and it is ideal for use in both formula and breastfed babies.
Now dispatching in our new look!
We are introducing new, eco-conscious packaging this year, and the new designs will update gradually from product to product to minimize any waste. Please bear with us as you may receive orders with both current and new packaging over the coming months. We hope you like the new look!
Update July 2021: This supplement was previously called OptiBac ‘For your baby’.
1. Li Y et al. (2004). Effects of Bifidobacterium breve supplementation on intestinal flora of low birth weight infants. Pediatr. Int, 46: 509-515.
2. Chua MC et al. (2017). Effect of synbiotic on the gut microbiota of Cesarean delivered infants. A randomised, double blind, multicenter study. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 65 (1): 102-106.
3. Enomoto T et al. (2014). Effects of bifidobacterial supplementation to pregnant women and infants in the prevention of allergy development in infants and on faecal microbiota. Allergol Int, 63 (4): 575-85.
4. Abe F, Muto M, Yaeshima T, et al. Safety evaluation of probiotic bifidobacteria by analysis of mucin degradation activity and translocation ability. Anaerobe. 2010;16(2):131-136. doi:10.1016/j.anaerobe.2009.07.006
5. Athalye-Jape G, Rao S, Simmer K, Patole S. Bifidobacterium breve M-16V as a Probiotic for Preterm Infants: A Strain-Specific Systematic Review. J Parenter Enter Nutr. 2018;42(4):677-688. doi:10.1177/0148607117722749
6. Van Der Aa LB, Van Aalderen WMC, Heymans HSA, et al. Synbiotics prevent asthma-like symptoms in infants with atopic dermatitis. Allergy Eur J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;66(2):170-177. doi:10.1111/j.1398-9995.2010.02416.x