- Best taken with a meal, preferably with breakfast.
- Simply mix with your child's favorite foods or drinks - sprinkle the powder over cereal, mix in with yogurt or dissolve in water or cold milk.
- Can be taken with formula milk - simply add to the bottle once it has cooled down to room temperature (as heat reduces the viability of natural bacteria).
- For breastfed babies, powder can be applied to nipple or clean finger for baby to suckle.
- Give one sachet daily.
- If desired or professionally directed, can be increased to 2 sachets a day.
Looking for a delicious alternative for children aged 3 years+? Try our new friendly bacteria fruit gummies for kids.
Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C (77°F) and out of direct sunlight.
All questions answered by Dr. Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and probiotic expert Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
Can you give a child too many probiotics?
Probiotics are very safe for children1,2 and it’s not thought to be possible to ‘overdose’ on them. The added ingredient in Optibac Probiotics Babies & Children, vitamin D, also has a safe upper limit which is many times the level included in this supplement. But generally it's best to stick to our recommended daily amount of 1-2 sachets, especially if your child takes other vitamin supplements containing vitamin D. If you have any concerns, please contact our nutrition team.
Is Babies & Children a vegetarian supplement?
Yes Optibac Probiotics Babies & Children is vegetarian. There is no dairy present at any stage of the manufacturing,and the probiotic strains are vegan, but the added vitamin D3 is vegetarian.
Probiotics are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, infants with short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a dietary supplement and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Dietary supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and varied diet. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
1. Athalye-Jape G et al. (2017). Bifidobacterium breve M-16V as a probiotic for pretern infants: A strain specific review. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 42 (4): 677-688.
2. Manzoni, P. et al (2011) Routine Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG administration in VLBW infants: A retrospective, 6-year cohort study. Early Human Development (87) 35–38.