Immune Support can be given to adults and children, from 1 year onwards, with the following recommendations:
- Take 1 capsule daily, preferably with breakfast, or as professionally directed.
- For those unable to swallow capsules, open and mix contents with cool drink/food .
- May be used on an ongoing basis
- For best results, do not remove desiccant sachet from the glass jar and close lid firmly after each use.
- Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight. For maximum potency, can be refrigerated after opening.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist
Can probiotics be taken every day?
Yes! It’s not possible to overdose on probiotics for immune support as your gut naturally contains trillions of friendly bacteria. Live cultures have been researched for decades, and daily use is both safe and recommended, without risk of dependency or overdose.1,2,3
How can I boost my immune system?
Various factors affect immune function, including cold weather or stress, but you can do things to help your immune system. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, limit alcohol intake, get a good night’s sleep, exercise daily, and wash your hands properly. As 70% of our immune system is in the gut, consider taking probiotics for immune support during the winter cold and flu season. Optibac Probiotics Immune Support offers all-round gut and immune support.
Which probiotic supplements are best for the immune system?
Choose highly researched probiotic supplements containing ingredients proven to support a healthy immune system and your body’s resistance to infection*, such as Vitamin C. Optibac Probiotics Immune Support contains 100% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C, along with one of the world’s most researched probiotic strains, Lactobacillus paracasei CASEI 431®, clinically trialled in thousands of people and found to support immune health4.
Who should not take probiotics for immune support?
Vitamin C and probiotic supplements for immune support are generally safe for everyone from one year into old age 1,2. However, they may not be appropriate for adults or children who are immune-compromised – read our safety information for more details. If you have a serious health condition, speak to your doctor before taking any supplement.
1. Jacobsen et al. (1999). 'Screening of probiotic activities of 47 strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonisation ability of 5 selected strains in humans'. Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 65(11): 4949-4956
2. Doron, S., & Snydman, D. R. (2015). Risk and safety of probiotics. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 60 Suppl 2(Suppl 2), S129–S134. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ085
3. Tomasz, B. et al, (2014). Long-term use of probiotics Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium has a prophylactic effect on the occurrence and severity of pouchitis: a randomized prospective study. BioMed research international, 2014, 208064. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/208064
4. Jespersen L. et al., (2015), ‘Effect of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei, L. casei 431® on immune response to influenza vaccination and upper respiratory tract infections in healthy adult volunteers: a randomized, double- blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study’. Am.J.Clin.Nutr., 101:1188-1196.
Probiotics are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a dietary supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Probiotic supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.