Short dated stock - Best Before end of March 2022.
50% off For travelling abroad. Offer is automatically applied at the checkout.
Who is 'Optibac Probiotics For travelling abroad' for?
For anyone looking to buy a supplement to take prior to and during travel to hotter and more humid climates.
- Each capsule provides 5 billion CFU live cultures and the billions count is guaranteed until end of expiry
- The Lactobacillus, Saccharomyces and Bifidobacterium genera contained in this supplement are all extensively researched for the support of digestive health, including occasional diarrhea*
- Shown to survive at higher temperatures and humidity, making this a suitable travel companion for destinations with hotter climates, such as Mexico, Egypt, India and the Caribbean
- The high-quality nature of this supplement gives travelers increased confidence to enjoy their holidays worry-free
- Does not interfere with antimalarials or other travel medication
- Scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut alive
- Easy to take on the go – no refrigeration required
- Suitable for vegetarians, and gluten free for those with coeliac disease or an intolerance
- Suitable from 1 year onwards
- Recommended for daily use preferably starting 3 - 5 days before departure, continuing during time abroad and for a couple of days upon return
- Free from artificial flavorings or colorings that may be found in other food & drinks containing live cultures
- Available in two pack sizes of 20 or 60 capsules
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Please note: This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions.
Customer feedback collected via independent review platform Trustpilot. See 'Reviews' tab for more customer opinions collected via our own website.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr. Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc (Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nutritional Medicine) Nutritional Therapist.
Should I take probiotics before travelling?
We recommend that ‘For travelling abroad’ is taken for at least 3-5 days before departing on your foreign travels. This starts to build up the levels of good bacteria in the gut, creating a protective ‘barrier’ in the intestines1. This supplement is designed specially to offer gut support when travelling, but ideally, we recommend using it in combination with a daily probiotic taken regularly in between foreign trips. Taking probiotics on a daily basis could offer even greater levels of gut support and help to avoid tummy troubles when you travel2.
Do I need to keep this supplement cold when travelling?
None of the supplements in the Optibac range need to be refrigerated either at home or when travelling, if stored at room temperature (25°C or 77°F). But the probiotic strains contained in ‘For travelling abroad’ are very hardy and can survive at higher temperatures and humidity levels (keep them out of direct sunlight if possible). This makes the supplement an ideal travel companion for destinations with hotter, more humid climates such as India, Egypt, or Mexico.
How do I choose the best probiotic travel supplement?
When choosing any probiotic supplement, it is always a good idea to follow the research. A probiotic travel supplement should contain strains which have been extensively researched and shown to offer benefits for ‘holiday tummy’. Saccharomyces boulardii, one of the strains in ‘For travelling abroad’, is one of the most researched probiotics in the world, especially for occasional diarrhoea and tummy upsets associated with foreign travel3.
What makes ‘For travelling abroad’ especially suitable for travel?
‘For travelling abroad’ makes it easy to support your gut health when travelling. The ‘fridge-free’ formulation means you can take it with you wherever you roam! It is suitable for all the family over the age of 1 year (pregnant women should consult with a doctor before use), and if desired, the easy-to-swallow capsules can be opened, and contents popped into cool, non-acidic drinks. The four carefully selected strains of probiotic combine to offer all-round gut support, helping you dodge those nasty holiday tummy upsets caused by exposure to pathogens such as E. coli4,5.
1. Hemarajata, P. and Versalovic, J. (2013 Jan) Effects of probiotics on gut microbiota: mechanisms of intestinal immunomodulation and neuromodulation. J. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 6(1): 39–51.
2. nhs.uk. (2018). Probiotics 'Ease Upset Stomachs'. [online] Available at: <https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/probiotics-ease-upset-stomachs/> [Accessed 7 October 2018].
3. Kollaritsch, H. et al. (1993). 'Prevention of traveller's diarrhea with Saccharomyces boulardii. Results of a placebo controlled double-blind study'. Fortschr Med, 111(9): 152-6
4. Akil I. et al., (2006), ‘Influence of oral intake of Saccharomyces boulardii on Escherichia coli in enteric flora’, Pediatr Nephrol, 21(6):807-10.
5. Billoo A.G. et al., (2006), ‘Role of a probiotic (Saccharomyces boulardii) in management and prevention of diarrhoea’, World J Gastroenterol, 12(28):4557-60.