- 1 Kids Gummy a day, with or without food.
- One Kids Gummy contains 2 billion Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2, FOS fibres (0.55g), Vitamin D3 (5µg) and Calcium (120mg).
- Anyone consuming this product must be able to chew solid food.
- Do not exceed daily recommended dosage.
- Can be used on an ongoing basis.
- Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
How Do I Choose The Best Live Cultures Gummies?
When choosing friendly bacteria gummies for your child, you want to choose a delicious gummy you know your kids will want to eat. The best children’s gummies should be made from natural ingredients, and contain a high-quality live cultures strain suitable for children. Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 is one of the most well-researched bacillus strains in children1,2,3 and is an ideal strain for kids’ friendly bacteria gummies.
How Do Friendly Bacteria Gummies Work?
Optibac Kids Gummies contain a species of friendly bacteria, Bacillus coagulans, that has the ability to form a protective layer around itself, making it highly resistant to acid, heat and the harsh conditions of the mouth and stomach4,5. This ensures it gets to the gut alive and starts to flourish6. These children’s gummies also contain FOS fibres which increase natural gut bacteria, calcium which contributes to the normal function of digestive enzymes, and vitamin D3 which contributes to the normal function of the immune system, making these an ideal supplement for digestive and immune support.
How Should My Child Take Live Cultures Gummies?
Optibac Kids Gummies are chewable and easy-to-take – just one a day, with or without food. They can be given for short periods whenever you think your child needs extra support, but it’s safe, and recommended, for them to be taken daily on an ongoing basis.
How Many Friendly Bacteria Gummies Can Kids Take?
As these delicious gummies are taste-tested by children, you might find your child wants to eat more than one! If they do, don’t worry too much - it’s not thought to be possible to ‘overdose’ on friendly bacteria, and the added ingredients, vitamin D and calcium, have safe upper limits which are many times the levels included in our Kids Gummies. So an extra gummy or two occasionally is fine; however, in general it’s best to stick to the recommended daily dose, especially if your child takes other vitamin and mineral supplements containing vitamin D and calcium7.
When Should Kids Take Gummies?
When it comes to deciding the best time to take our friendly bacteria gummies, it is helpful to know Optibac Kids Gummies can be taken any time of the day, with or without food. This means you can either give them at mealtimes as part of your child’s daily health regime, or take them with you wherever you go, and give them whenever it is most convenient.
What Is the Difference Between Gummies VS Capsules or Powder?
Capsule and powder products usually contain strains of Lactobacilli or Bifidobacteria, whereas in our Kids Gummies we use Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 because it is more resilient to moisture, acid and heat, making it more suitable for use in this format. Some children love gummies, but others prefer drops or capsules, or to have their flavourless friendly bacteria powder mixed in with their yogurt or cereal. It is up to you and your child which format you prefer to take as your friendly bacteria supplement. If your child has a particular health condition, you may also like to consider which strains your supplement contains, to ensure they take the live cultures strain(s) which have been researched for that condition.
1. Asgarshirazi, M., Shariat, M. and Dalili, H. (2015) ‘Comparison of the Effects of pH-Dependent Peppermint Oil and Synbiotic Lactol (Bacillus coagulans + Fructooligosaccharides) on Childhood Functional Abdominal Pain: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study’, Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 17(4), pp. e23844-undefined. doi: 10.5812/ircmj.17(4)2015.23844.
2. Saneian, H. et al. (2015) ‘Synbiotic containing Bacillus coagulans and Fructo-oligosaccharides for functional abdominal pain in children’, Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench, 8(1), pp. 56–65.
3. Sudha, M. R. et al. (2018) ‘Efficacy of Bacillus coagulans Unique IS2 in treatment of irritable bowel syndrome in children: a double blind, randomised placebo controlled study’, Beneficial Microbes, 9(4), pp. 563–572. doi: 10.3920/BM2017.0129.
4. Ahire, J. J., Neelamraju, J. and Madempudi, R. S. (2020) ‘Behavior of Bacillus coagulans Unique IS2 spores during passage through the simulator of human intestinal microbial ecosystem (SHIME) model’, LWT, 124, p. 109196. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109196.
5. Bernardeau M, Lehtinen MJ, Forssten SD, Nurminen P. Importance of the gastrointestinal life cycle of Bacillus for probiotic functionality. J Food Sci Technol. 2017;54(8):2570-2584. doi:10.1007/s13197-017-2688-3
6. Cao J, Yu Z, Liu W, et al. Probiotic characteristics of Bacillus coagulans and associated implications for human health and diseases. J Funct Foods. 2020;64(July 2019):103643. doi:10.1016/j.jff.2019.103643
7. Vitamin D (2020) Retrieved from: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/ (accessed 5-3-21)
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, children with short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent any disease. Probiotics for kids should not be used as a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and varied diet. If child is taking any medications or has a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their doctor before taking this product.