- For best results take 1 capsule daily, preferably with breakfast.
- If desired, or professionally directed, can be increased to 2 capsules a day.
- Can be used on an ongoing basis.
- Suitable from 12 months onwards. For those unable to swallow capsules, the capsule can be opened and the contents mixed into cool food or drinks.
- Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
- For best results, do not remove desiccant sachet from the glass jar and close lid firmly after each use.
- Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight. For maximum potency, can be refrigerated after opening.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
Is it OK to take a probiotic every day?
Yes, it is safe, and often advisable, to take a daily high-strength probiotic supplement. Good bacteria only colonize in the gut for a few weeks, but research 1,2,3 suggests that taking regular probiotic supplements helps to maintain gut health and the microbiome.
When, and how, should I take probiotics?
“What time should I take probiotics?” and “Should I take probiotic with or without food?” are common questions, especially when taking high strength live cultures. It’s best to take your probiotics at breakfast time, as this is when stomach acidity is at its most neutral. Taking them with food further helps to buffer the acid and assist the passage of the live cultures into the gut. If you miss breakfast, just take with another meal or snack.
How long should you take probiotics for?
You can choose to take specific probiotic strains at certain times, for example during pregnancy, after antibiotics, or during the winter flu season. However, many people feel better when taking daily high-strength probiotics to complement their natural gut bacteria, especially if they have ongoing health conditions. Research 1,3 suggests that long-term daily use is fine, with no risk of dependency.
How do I choose the best probiotic for adults?
Choose well-researched, shelf-stable probiotic supplements, guaranteed to reach the gut alive and containing strains researched for your needs. Consider if you want a high strength probiotic supplement, or one with added prebiotic fibre. Read customer reviews to help you decide. For example, Optibac Every Day EXTRA is a high-strength probiotic supplement without added FOS fibres, and is particularly suitable for adults with IBS.
What strength of probiotic should I take?
With probiotics, ‘more’ is not always ‘better’, though some people do better on high-strength supplements. But it’s still more important to choose high strength supplements with probiotic strains featured in multiple gold standard clinical trials, where the research is relevant to your needs. High quality probiotic supplements like Optibac Every Day EXTRA contain the same number of billions used in supporting clinical trials4,5.
1. Mimura, T. et al. (2004). 'Once daily high dose probiotic therapy (VSL#3) for maintaining remission in recurrent or refractory pouchitis'. Gut, 53(1): 108-114
2. Morelli L et al., 2004. 'Utilisation of the intestinal tract as a delivery system for urogenital probiotics'. Journal of clinical gastroenterology; 38(6): 107-110
3. Jacobsen et al., 1999. 'Screening of probiotic activities of 47 strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonisation ability of 5 selected strains in humans'. Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 65 (11): 4949-4956
4. Sanders ME, Klaenhammer TR. Invited review. The scientific basis of Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM functionality as a probiotic. J Dairy Sci. 2001;84(2):319-331. doi:10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74481-5
Probiotics are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a dietary supplement and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Dietary supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.