OptiBac Probiotics are looking to recruit a Head of Export to lead our Export Team in Andover.
Head of Export
The Head of Export is an entrepreneurial, commercial leader who inspires others. They have both strategic and operational responsibilities, including strategy, data insight, general management, Profit & Loss (P&L), leadership, business development and sales with the ultimate goal of business expansion in both new and existing international markets. This is a highly visible, creative, and agile role within a rapidly growing, privately held supplement company in a fast-growing space.
Wren Laboratories is a successful, family-run business based near Andover, Hampshire. It produces a range of health supplements called ‘OptiBac Probiotics’. The company is committed to producing high quality products, providing excellent customer service, and achieving a vibrant & inspiring workplace. The products are sold in the UK, Ireland and many export markets via multiple different sales channels including pharmacies, health food stores, grocery, online retailers, marketplaces and Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM) practitioners.
The Export business has expanded rapidly over the last 4 years and we are now looking to accelerate growth further across all channels, sectors and in new countries. The international portion of the company’s sales is expected to contribute a growing proportion of turnover.
The Head of Export will
- develop international strategies and oversee execution plans and budgets within the Export team to meet revenue and financial targets while ensuring high-performance standards.
- work closely with other department heads and senior management, taking a leadership role on the Commercial team to help develop the Company’s strategy & development plans.
- strengthen thought-leadership in areas of emphasis including global expansion, e-commerce, and strategic partnerships.
- keep abreast of trends in the global probiotic business environment, international business management and development.
1. Develop, lead & implement the international / export strategy
- Develop the international / export strategy and priorities; oversee annual plans and budgets to meet aggressive revenue and financial targets.
- Work closely with the Commercial team & cross-functional teams to ensure strategies, objectives and plans for the Export team are well integrated and support the company mission and objectives.
- Identify growth opportunities in new countries, secure strong distributor partners, and help agree development plans as needed.
- Directly manage priority markets as needed.
- Assess risks and opportunities appropriately and build contingency plans to mitigate risks as required to help ensure achievement of agreed revenue and financial objectives.
- Develop and maintain accurate rolling forecasts for each market.
- Develop processes and value chains with input from the Board that provide benchmarks for revenue and financial goals to understand and evaluate new opportunities.
- Work with Commercial team to help build the Company’s overall strategic plan.
- Ensure frequent communication of strategies and plans to all internal key-stakeholders to maximise synergies within the business and ensure smooth execution of plans.
- Effectively manage distributor partners to consistently deliver objectives while creating long-term, win-win relationships.
- Liaise with Department for International Trade / Institute of Export and other contacts as appropriate.
2. Lead, develop, and inspire the Export team
- Support the team to develop and apply best-practice activities across key markets, including annual planning, forecast reviews & product training.
- Establish clear operating principles, as well as short and long-term goals (SMART) for the Export team.
- Review team structure and capabilities regularly, and adjust as needed, to ensure the team structure is poised to fully capitalise on future growth within the evolving global market.
- Support effective recruitment into the team, both internal & external and ensure career path development and succession planning initiatives are in place.
- Support the team on a day-to-day basis with coaching, advice, and direction as appropriate – to achieve delivery of all key team objectives.
- Ensure that Wren Labs’ family-like, entrepreneurial and nimble culture is honoured and upheld while achieving significant growth goals.
3.Develop, agree and manage annual sales & marketing plans
- Develop clear and actionable annual plans with the team, in-line with the Company’s short, medium & long term strategic plan.
- Help the team to develop, obtain & update relevant management information (internally, and with external partners) to understand & review market performance to help achieve the agreed objectives.
Knowledge & Experience
- Seasoned and proven global business leader with significant experience growing and developing Fast Moving Consumer Goods businesses internationally. Significant experience in marketing, sales and business development with a strong international focus.
- Proven experience leading strategic planning and execution for an international business managing multiple countries, with P&L responsibility.
- Strong working knowledge of omni-channel strategies and operations.
- Experience working in natural products, consumer healthcare, over-the-counter or pharmaceutical industries.
- Strong communicator - able to develop strong relationships and influence the Commercial / cross-functional leadership teams and management via formal and informal communications.
- Experience managing international distributors, and key customers; and preferably e-commerce platforms and agency relationships.
- Ability to find creative solutions to often challenging and difficult situations.
- Working in a multi-cultural, and multi-language environment
- Basic brand marketing and category management knowledge
- Leadership of remote, internationally based team
- Understanding of training techniques, both internal & external delegates
- Existing relationships with online marketplaces (e.g. TMall flagship store, Amazon)
- Foreign language (e.g. one of French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin or Cantonese)
- Living within a commutable distance of the Andover, Hampshire HQ
Skills & Competencies
- Strong team leadership and people development
- Strategic thinker with ability to roll sleeves up and execute
- Entrepreneurial spirit with big company background and discipline
- Culturally aware and able to interact successfully with overseas partners
- Articulate, engaging, and persuasive communicator
- Confident presenter
- High level of numeracy, P&L management, commercially ‘savvy’
- Good eye for data and extrapolating insights
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Self-motivated, resilient, energetic, enthusiastic and hard-working
- Realistic and pragmatic with confidence to address difficult circumstances and ‘find a way’ to achieve goals
- Appreciation for the value of joining a small, fast growing company and being a part of the ‘work family’
Hours, salary & start date
- Full time, permanent position
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- Start immediately
- To apply for this role please send your CV along with a covering letter and your salary expectations to HoEapplication@wrenlabs.com
- No agencies please
- Deadline for applications is 9th April 2021
For more company information