The Financial Controller has high-level analytical skills and is a commercial leader who inspires others to drive financial operations and improve performance. They have both strategic and operational responsibilities for the finance department, including team management, budgeting, management accounts & management information, risk minimisation, audit & compliance with the ultimate goal of business expansion & improving profitability. This is a highly visible and critical role with a privately held supplement company in a fast-growing space.
Wren Laboratories is a successful, family-run business based near Andover, Hampshire. It produces a range called ‘Optibac Probiotics’ – the UK & Ireland's most trusted & recommended friendly bacteria supplements. The company is committed to high quality products, excellent customer service, and a vibrant & inspiring workplace. The products are sold in the UK, Ireland and many export markets via multiple sales channels – trade, marketplaces & direct-to-consumer.
Responsibility of the accounting function, preparing financial reports, analysing financial data for Wren Laboratories, sister company Medipharma Ltd & holding parent company Medipharma Group Ltd.
Office and home based
Position in organisation
Reports to: Managing Director
Dotted line to Part-time CFO from CFO Centre
Responsible for: Finance team – 6 in total
Number of direct reports: 2
- Work closely with other department heads and senior management, taking a leadership role on the Commercial team to help develop the overall Company’s strategy & development plans.
- Work alongside the part-time CFO. The ideal candidate will have ambitions to develop into a CFO role in time.
- Develop a high-performance team ensuring development & continuous learning as well as succession planning where appropriate for all key positions/skill sets.
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly management accounts.
- Foster a ‘beat the budget’ philosophy, providing commentary on variances, implications, and what corrective actions are being taken.
- Prepare annual budgets along with cash flow projections. Support departments to meet & beat their budgets.
- Collate Management Information (MI) across the whole business to generate insight & provide analysis / commentary to drive decision-making.
- Ensure financial processes, systems and controls operate effectively.
- Oversee payroll, pensions, salary sacrifice, P11ds.
- Oversee VAT, EU sales return, Corporation Tax and HMRC processes.
- Manage the audit.
- Ensure compliance with import and export legislation; manage changes as a result of Brexit. Manage AEB and TSS systems.
- Customise financial software to support all department needs – Oracle NetSuite and NSPB.
Knowledge & experience
- Accountancy qualifications from either the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Proven experience leading and inspiring teams. With a deep understanding of the company vision and strategy, you seek areas to improve and can guide the team to understand the roles they play in delivering it.
- Strong communicator - able to develop strong relationships and influence the Commercial / cross-functional leadership teams and management via formal and informal communications.
- Experience identifying, selecting, negotiating & managing external partners (auditors, accountants, finance software suppliers)
- Ability to find creative solutions to challenging and difficult situations.
- > 2 years experience working in Financial Controller level.
- Experience working in international arena – export globally, registered in US; VAT registered in Ireland & Spain.
- Living within a commutable distance of HQ near Andover, Hampshire.
Skills & competencies
- Strong team leadership and people development.
- Articulate, engaging, and persuasive communicator & confident presenter. Able to disseminate core information and create relevant reports according to audience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to build relationships with teams outside of Finance
- High level of numeracy, commercially ‘savvy’.
- Analytical thinker - use data and logic to extrapolate insights & back up ideas.
- Strong attention to detail as well as the ability to connect the dots and identify business trends and opportunities.
- Strong IT skills.
- Self-motivated, resilient, energetic, enthusiastic and hard-working.
- Realistic and pragmatic with confidence to address difficult circumstances and ‘find a way’ to achieve goals.
- Appreciation for the value of joining a small, fast growing company and being a part of the ‘work family’.
Hours, salary & start date
- Full time, permanent position
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- Start immediately
- To apply for this role please send your CV along with a covering letter and your salary expectations to email@example.com
- No agencies please
- Deadline for applications is 8th May 2022
We believe that a diverse, inclusive culture drives creativity and success. We strive to create a workplace that values all people, where we embrace differences, and everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. The more perspectives we share, the better we can be.
For more company information please visit www.optibacprobiotics.com/uk